March Inn

Why"March Inn?" March Inn was the name of that magic place where I spent my summers growing up. I have alluded to this place before, and I probably will again. March Inn is no longer standing. The waters of Katrina rendered it unlivable so my children will never know that "March Inn." That makes me sad. In fact it brings me to tears whenever I think about it. I want my children to have their own "March Inn," and I want to capture our lives as they are growing and changing. I invite you to "march inn" to our lives. My hope is that you will catch glimpses of the real world. You will see our creations. You will see our chaos. You will see our affection. You will also see our frustrations, fears, and disappointments. Enjoy your march!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Too Many Options

If you have children, particularly school age children, then I hope you can relate to this statement...
My children's school does a lot of great things.
I mean really great things - cool things - fun things - ordinary things
things that provide amazing experiences and neat memories!
What a blessing that is!
 
Particularly since it is a public school...
 
So one of the things they do is Celebrate Writing Day.  If you know me, you know I am a sucker for children's literature.  Over the years, I have probably been known to spend too much money on books.  Hey there are worse vices!  In our house, we love to read.  My children love to have me read.  I love to read to them. They are learning to read to each other and others.  Another blessing! 
One of my favorite parts of my house is the bookshelves in the hallway upstairs.  When I was a young teacher, just out of college, I never minded spending money on books for my classroom because I hoped that one day I could use those books with my children and use those books we have. Good books, fun books, colorful books, well-written books, old books, new books, really really worn books, classic books, rhyming books, poetry books, silly books, even bad books fill our rooms. 
 
The Celebrate Writing order form came home this week.  As is typically the case, I had never heard of the authors so I spent about an hour perusing the websites each author who is coming this year.  In my eyes, it is an amazing line-up.  Here's the list of who's coming:

Bob Barner - I love his colorful illustrations and the text seems to be fun yet informative.
Denise Brennan-Nelson - The speech pathologist in me likes the My Momma Likes to Say type book.  It introduces those silly sayings that we all use in our speech yet sometimes leave little ones imaginations to wonder.  Do you think I can get all of them and chalk it up to a business expense? 
Kelly DiPucchio - I didn't even know that I knew this author, but we actually already have The Sandwich Swap on our bookshelf and yesterday at the library I noticed Crafty Chloe in the new book section.
Irene Latham - I can't wait to get my hand on this title.  It is probably a bit old for my kiddos, but I want to read it.
Diane Z. Shore - What little boy with sisters can't relate to this!
I'm going to have a difficult time narrowing down the books I buy and definitely have some new authors to look for at the library. 

1 comment:

  1. My boys love How to Drive Your Sister Crazy. We've checked it out of the library a dozen times. Can't understand their obsession since we do not have any sisters here!!

    Sounds like a fun thing your school does.

    ReplyDelete