March Inn

Why"March Inn?" March Inn was the name of that magic place where I spent my summers growing up. I have alluded to this place before, and I probably will again. March Inn is no longer standing. The waters of Katrina rendered it unlivable so my children will never know that "March Inn." That makes me sad. In fact it brings me to tears whenever I think about it. I want my children to have their own "March Inn," and I want to capture our lives as they are growing and changing. I invite you to "march inn" to our lives. My hope is that you will catch glimpses of the real world. You will see our creations. You will see our chaos. You will see our affection. You will also see our frustrations, fears, and disappointments. Enjoy your march!

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

More Green Beans

Sadly, these are words that this child would never say.

I hear "more cake", "more cookies", "more bread", "more milk", "more orange juice", "more water".  Even "more bananas", "more strawberries", "more grapes", or "more pineapple".  But more green beans.  NEVER!  Heck I'm not sure you've ever eaten more than one bite of anything green at one sitting since pureed baby food.  If it was possible to be allergic to green then you have a life-threatening case.  For you, just the thought of putting something green in your mouth gives you reason to whine and complain.  Frank and I've made a choice that we want dinner to be about sitting down as a family and enjoying each others company so eating your green beans is not something I fight.  Right or wrong we'd rather hear what was the best part of your day and have you ask each of us a question.  
However, I'm not going to lie ~ your lack of vegetable consumption causes me concern to the point of worry, stress, and anxiety.  I try not to let you fill up on all of those empty foods that you love, but inevitably you eat more of them than you should, and I worry about your health.  Worry is a vicious cycle because then I start to worry about being a bad mother, and then I worry about all of the things I am doing wrong and should be doing better, and on and on and on.
I've really tried not to let this bother me, but it does.  I try to model healthful eating.  I try to provide many and varied veggies in our meals.  I try to lovingly encourage you to try them.  I've contemplated other ways to get you to eat your veggies.  Now that you are four, I feel like I need to make more of an effort to get you to eat your veggies.  Clearly the "that's what's for dinner" philosophy is not working, and I think it is important to learn to eat the green stuff.
Well, while we were at the lake I was on the computer checking out some blogs that I have bookmarked as favorites though I don't read daily or really ever.  I clicked here which eventually lead me here, and I thought we might be onto something. 

You see, sweet Walker, there is at least one green thing that you do not have an aversion to.  That's green in a smoothie.  With some regularity, I drop spinach into our breakfast smoothies.  Your daddy doesn't love it, but you always ask for more.  You knowingly ask for more so I've subscribed to the newsletter on Simple Green Smoothies so that I could receive the e-book.  I've reviewed the recipes and added some ingredients to my grocery list.  We (you and me and anyone else who wants to give it a whirl) are going to try a few.  It can't hurt and then maybe I won't feel as guilty when you won't eat er, touch well really, look at your green beans at dinner.


1 comment:

  1. Try these toddler muffins. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Toddler-Muffins/Detail.aspx

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete