March Inn

Why"March Inn?" March Inn was the name of that magic place where I spent my summers growing up. I have alluded to this place before, and I probably will again. March Inn is no longer standing. The waters of Katrina rendered it unlivable so my children will never know that "March Inn." That makes me sad. In fact it brings me to tears whenever I think about it. I want my children to have their own "March Inn," and I want to capture our lives as they are growing and changing. I invite you to "march inn" to our lives. My hope is that you will catch glimpses of the real world. You will see our creations. You will see our chaos. You will see our affection. You will also see our frustrations, fears, and disappointments. Enjoy your march!

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Again

Many years ago I recall reading an article in a parenting magazine.  The article was about a birthday for a two year old.  In the article, the mother was describing how when her little girl liked something she would say "again."  I think after blowing out the candles on the birthday cake the little girl said, "again" but the point of the article was that the mom wanted to do it all over again.  I can relate!
Well, sweet Betsy that exactly how I feel with you.  We are so thankful for you and your presence in our lives.  You have two big brothers and one big sister who love you dearly and would do most anything for you.  Mary Frances is excited you are starting to enjoy baby dolls.  Stephen can't stand to see you cry and will try all kinds of stunts to stop your tears.  Walker loves having you to pal around with while the big two are at school.  You enjoy playing with the duplos and train with him.  Your new favorite thing to do is have a tea party.  I am thrilled that you love books and love to read with your siblings and me.  Your favorite time of the day is when daddy arrives home from work. 

It was fitting that your birthday fell on a Sunday because you got to have your birthday breakfast at church.  Week in and week out that is the best meal you eat all week. 
When you aren't at church, you love grapes and cheese though your repertoire is broadening.  In the last few weeks, you have attempted brussel sprouts and avocado and asked for more.  I appreciate your trying. 
At two you are delightful ~ most of the time.  You are talking up a blue streak, and we understand more each day.  I love watching you learn new words.  Take for example last week when I was combing out your hair after your bath.  I said something about all of the knots.  You heard something about snot {a word you already knew} and immediately touched your nose saying what you heard.  A new word was learned, and we have been laughing about the snotty knots since.
Now don't get me wrong, you like to have it your way and can throw a fit with the best of them, but for the most part you are kind, calm, and agreeable.  You are extremely shy and can become very unsure of yourself when confronted with new people and new situations.  I love what you do in those situations!  You put your hand out for me to kiss, just like in the book The Kissing Hand.  It always makes everything better.  You also do this when you are being reprimanded.  It seems to be your way of saying, "I'm sorry."

I would love to do it all again ~ even the bedroom in the foyer at Pops' house, the sleepless nights, the silent reflux.  For now, you love to be on my hip, but I know one day you won't want to be there which is why I typically scoop you up when you look up at me with those big eyes and say, "up please."
Instead of "again" you get a giant smile on your face, clap your hands and say yea!  That always makes me smile, and I want to see you do it again and again.

We love you and thank you for bringing us such joy.

Here is your birthday video!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment