March Inn

Why"March Inn?" March Inn was the name of that magic place where I spent my summers growing up. I have alluded to this place before, and I probably will again. March Inn is no longer standing. The waters of Katrina rendered it unlivable so my children will never know that "March Inn." That makes me sad. In fact it brings me to tears whenever I think about it. I want my children to have their own "March Inn," and I want to capture our lives as they are growing and changing. I invite you to "march inn" to our lives. My hope is that you will catch glimpses of the real world. You will see our creations. You will see our chaos. You will see our affection. You will also see our frustrations, fears, and disappointments. Enjoy your march!

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Pixels are Cheap



Today I was so blessed to be able to go to a photography class taught be someone I would love to call a friend. In reality she is an acquaintance...She is spunky, creative, outgoing, fun, and cute to boot. It was taught by Katherine Berdy of Katherine S. Berdy Photography. If you want to see her work visit her here.


I heard things I have heard before but can't ever keep straight in my head. ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed.... It's true the more you hear things the more they stick. I learned a lot!


One of the things Katherine said was that pixels are cheap. Again so true! This is why we probably all have hard drives or worse yet memory cards FULL of pictures we are never going to print. {Why is it that we can't erase those terrible ones?} It is also why Frank and I say if you take enough pictures you are sure to get a good one once in awhile. Katherine validated this point when she spoke of return rate in pictures. She had a teacher tell her once that getting 2 good shots out of 100 is a good return! Wow! Now Katherine is a professional and if I remember correctly she says she aims to get seven good shots out of ten or maybe it was three out of ten. Anyhoo, her return rate is much better than the typical mom out there photographing her kids.


She had an idea for practicing shots that I love and can't wait to try. She had a teacher tell her once ~ walk out your door, take ten steps, stop, and stand there for twenty minutes and take as many pictures as you can. What a fun way to explore different angles and try to get really creative. Hopefully I'll get to show you some fun new photographs of my kiddos in their Easter finery next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment