March Inn

Why"March Inn?" March Inn was the name of that magic place where I spent my summers growing up. I have alluded to this place before, and I probably will again. March Inn is no longer standing. The waters of Katrina rendered it unlivable so my children will never know that "March Inn." That makes me sad. In fact it brings me to tears whenever I think about it. I want my children to have their own "March Inn," and I want to capture our lives as they are growing and changing. I invite you to "march inn" to our lives. My hope is that you will catch glimpses of the real world. You will see our creations. You will see our chaos. You will see our affection. You will also see our frustrations, fears, and disappointments. Enjoy your march!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Servant Heart

It has been one week since Lent began. {And what a week it's been ~ I will sprinkle some photos throughout the post.} For those of you who struggle with why one might observe the season of Lent when it is not directly prescribed in the Bible, I came across this eloquently written post on Lent. It is very informative and well written while and offering what I thought were some good reasons why everyone might want to observe Lent. Take a look if you have a moment, and I would love any feedback you might have to offer.
I for one have always enjoyed Lent and it's not because I am so good at giving something up {because that isn't the point}. I think it is because I have always loved Easter. It is hands down my favorite holiday. The reality is I am pretty bad at Lent {if that's possible}. Yes, I am quite the rule-follower and can be quite legalistic, but I have never been very consistent with my own Lenten resolve. It isn't that I don't want to or that I don't have good intentions. It is usually that I simply forget and then I do something or eat something without thinking which is precisely the point. All to often we go through our days, hours, and minutes acting without thinking of the consequences or how it might affect someone else much less how God factors into the equation. During the years I have strictly followed my own Lenten resolve, I have developed a deeper relationship with Christ and have felt significantly more blessed on that glorious Easter morning.
Okay so we are one week into Lent ~ that means we are one week into the season of preparing. As individuals, we might have our own "thing" we are trying to work on throughout this season in order to help us grow closer to Christ. As a family, we are focusing on having a servant's heart and truly putting that into practice throughout the forty days of Lent while we prepare our hearts and minds for the remembrance of what Jesus did to serve each of us as He was crucified on the cross so many years ago.

At breakfast we are continuing to read our devotional with the children and we are talking about ways we can serve others during the day. Then at dinner we are checking in with each other to try to hold one another accountable ~ children and adults alike. I would like to be sharing a Bible verse with the little ones each day, but haven't started that yet. Each week, we are going to try to do something as a family to serve others. That is easy this week because it is spring break and we don't have much on the agenda.


Ephesians 6:7-8

Serve wholeheartedly, as you were serving the Lord, not men, because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does, whether he is slave or free.

No comments:

Post a Comment