March Inn

Why"March Inn?" March Inn was the name of that magic place where I spent my summers growing up. I have alluded to this place before, and I probably will again. March Inn is no longer standing. The waters of Katrina rendered it unlivable so my children will never know that "March Inn." That makes me sad. In fact it brings me to tears whenever I think about it. I want my children to have their own "March Inn," and I want to capture our lives as they are growing and changing. I invite you to "march inn" to our lives. My hope is that you will catch glimpses of the real world. You will see our creations. You will see our chaos. You will see our affection. You will also see our frustrations, fears, and disappointments. Enjoy your march!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Salad Secrets

Do you ever feel like you enjoy the salads others make more than you enjoy your own?


Over the years of supper clubs, garden club lunches, dinner with friends, friends bringing dinners, etc, I have often encountered these feelings. In reality Frank and I like my original "go to" salad, and I am sure it is quite healthy. It is made with red or green leaf lettuce {not the bagged variety ~ you know I never do it the easy way} packed with chopped vegetables, a bit of cheddar cheese, and drizzled with a homemade vinaigrette.


But because everyone seemed to make a better salad than me, I've been taking notes. I have decided the four ingredients that make a great {and child friendly} salad are fruit, nuts, fun cheese, and a good dressing {preferably homemade}. Oh yeah and use the bagged lettuce ~ it's usually on sale and easy!


Here is the salad I've been making this week ~ I made the dressing and toasted the pecans once and assembled the ingredients three times. Seriously, three times and it is only Wednesday. On Sunday, I took it to supper club. On Monday, I took it to small group, and today I am taking it to a lunch meeting for my Junior League group. I'm not going to print the recipe here for fear of breaking some major copyright laws, but it can be found Table of Content in this cookbook.


My newer go to salad is spinach, sliced strawberries, almonds {or walnuts}, and goat cheese topped with raspberry walnut vinaigrette. This is the salad that got my children eating salad! I use Ken's dressing for this but would love to learn to make something comparable.

We often try to make our salads with spinach because we figure it has to be healthier than lettuce because it has so many more nutrients. The bonus is that my big two love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment