March Inn

Why"March Inn?" March Inn was the name of that magic place where I spent my summers growing up. I have alluded to this place before, and I probably will again. March Inn is no longer standing. The waters of Katrina rendered it unlivable so my children will never know that "March Inn." That makes me sad. In fact it brings me to tears whenever I think about it. I want my children to have their own "March Inn," and I want to capture our lives as they are growing and changing. I invite you to "march inn" to our lives. My hope is that you will catch glimpses of the real world. You will see our creations. You will see our chaos. You will see our affection. You will also see our frustrations, fears, and disappointments. Enjoy your march!

Friday, April 12, 2013

A Nature Hunt

What do three children, one double stroller, one scooter, two bags, and a list have in common?
 
A Scavenger Hunt
 
of course!
 
After what seems to have been a very long, very wet winter, spring is finally in full swing.  As in typical fashion in Alabama, we have gone from what we consider winter to what most of you consider summer.  As an aside I'm hoping that the rain predicted for tomorrow washes away the bulk of the pollen in the air and on the streets but if not that's okay too.
 
On Wednesdays, Mary Frances has choir practice from 4:00 - 4:45.  Forty-five minutes can be a hard increment of time.  It isn't worth going home.  At that time of day, it usually isn't worth running a quick errand.  Usually, we just sit in the car or in the waiting area and read or do homework.  Inevitably that ends in someone fussing, fighting, crying or screaming or me falling asleep mid-sentence.  Sometimes we walk to a nearby park, but there isn't a large variety of playground equipment so it too falls short on filling the time.  Therefore, this mama decided we needed an adventure to pass the time that can otherwise be somewhat boring and tedious for my other three children.
 
While Mary Frances was at choir yesterday, we embarked on a nature scavenger hunt.  We had 45 minutes and a new area to wander in order to find the following items:
 
1.  10 pieces of pollen that look like caterpillars
2.  1 long stick ~ 12 inches or more
3.  1 dandelion to blow ~ 3 yellow dandelion flowers to give to MaeMae
4.  1 small pebble {not a rock}
5.  1 four leaf clovers
6.  10 clover flowers to make a garland for Betsy's head
7.  5 pieces of trash
8.  3 pine cones {one small, one medium, one large}
9.  6 sour gum balls {2 for each child participating}
10. 1 acorn with a cap

We did it!
 
We found each and every item and even determined what our next adventure can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment