March Inn

Why"March Inn?" March Inn was the name of that magic place where I spent my summers growing up. I have alluded to this place before, and I probably will again. March Inn is no longer standing. The waters of Katrina rendered it unlivable so my children will never know that "March Inn." That makes me sad. In fact it brings me to tears whenever I think about it. I want my children to have their own "March Inn," and I want to capture our lives as they are growing and changing. I invite you to "march inn" to our lives. My hope is that you will catch glimpses of the real world. You will see our creations. You will see our chaos. You will see our affection. You will also see our frustrations, fears, and disappointments. Enjoy your march!

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Go Ahead, Admit It

Yes, I'm talking about kid-friendly food.  If you're being honest I bet you like those chicken fingers {tenders, strips, nuggets} as much as they do.  In our house we have never been big chicken finger people.  We rarely get fast food, and it is a very unusual occurrence for me to pick them up at the deli of a grocery store.  That doesn't mean it doesn't ever happen.  It just isn't often.  Maybe a handful of times in a year!  Nonetheless, my children are very attracted to the idea of chicken tenders, and we have had many birthday dinner requests for chicken fingers.  The funny thing is that the request is usually "mommy-made chicken nuggets."

Over the years, I've tried and we've all liked several recipes, but this spring I found a new one in Martha Stewart's Everyday Food.  It was the April edition, if you happen to have the magazine sitting around.

This recipe for baked chicken nuggets is a keeper in every one's opinion ~ definitely the favorite of all that I've tried.  I think the panko makes them extra crispy and because they are baked they don't have any greasy taste!  When I ask my children for suggestions for our menu Mary Frances often throws this one out.  One night last month, I was running short on time getting supper prepared, and she made them for me.  Seriously, she did everything except cut the chicken and put the pan in the oven.

I can't remember what I was doing in the kitchen, but I was right beside her every step of the way ~ talking her through what to do next.  She was so excited to have completed the task on her own, and it was fun for me to be in the kitchen with her.

I want to make these ahead of time and freeze them to see how they do reheated.  I think this would be awesome for a children's event where I either needed to make a whole lot or when I didn't want to be battering chicken all afternoon before guests arrive.  I always have a whole list of other things that need to be done because everyone appreciates clean potties when they visit your home.

Any tips on successfully accomplishing this?  The chicken ahead of time, not the potties.

No comments:

Post a Comment