March Inn

Why"March Inn?" March Inn was the name of that magic place where I spent my summers growing up. I have alluded to this place before, and I probably will again. March Inn is no longer standing. The waters of Katrina rendered it unlivable so my children will never know that "March Inn." That makes me sad. In fact it brings me to tears whenever I think about it. I want my children to have their own "March Inn," and I want to capture our lives as they are growing and changing. I invite you to "march inn" to our lives. My hope is that you will catch glimpses of the real world. You will see our creations. You will see our chaos. You will see our affection. You will also see our frustrations, fears, and disappointments. Enjoy your march!

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Doors*

Throughout life there are doors ~

Doors that open~

Doors that open when you least expect it ~

Doors that you don't want to open ~

Doors that close ~

Some doors close without warning ~

Other times those doors should have been closed long ago ~

Doors that are always ajar ~

Doors that linger open and then gently shut ~

Doors that slam closed ~

Doors that we are scared to walk through ~

Doors that we joyfully bound through ~

It is 5:40 a.m. Frank just left for a weekend hike with some men from our church. The front door opened. The front door closed. It made a gentle click as I closed it behind him.

I waited...You see, doors often wake my children in the morning. Sure enough, I heard a sweet little voice, "Mary Frances" Nothing. Sweet Mary Frances is exhausted and sleeps hard these days. Then again, in sweet three year old speak, "Mary Frances, I come sleep with you." This time I hear a rustling of sheets and then scampering down the ladder of a bunk bed.

I lingered by the stairs long enough to hear them get settled and exchange sweet words that I could not understand. Then I came back to my office for a few more moments of quiet before we all started our day full steam ahead. I wanted to let them have there sweet times together. I didn't stay away long.

I quietly ascended the stairs and to my surprise both of my boys were in bed with their sister.
Friends, I know we might appear crazy to you, but this is why I love that my three big children share a room. I pray that these sweet moments are the the ones they will remember and cherish as they grow into adults.

* It is funny that this idea of doors came up today because just last week I was pondering the idea of taking pictures of all the doors of our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment