March Inn

Why"March Inn?" March Inn was the name of that magic place where I spent my summers growing up. I have alluded to this place before, and I probably will again. March Inn is no longer standing. The waters of Katrina rendered it unlivable so my children will never know that "March Inn." That makes me sad. In fact it brings me to tears whenever I think about it. I want my children to have their own "March Inn," and I want to capture our lives as they are growing and changing. I invite you to "march inn" to our lives. My hope is that you will catch glimpses of the real world. You will see our creations. You will see our chaos. You will see our affection. You will also see our frustrations, fears, and disappointments. Enjoy your march!

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Once Bitten, Twice Shy

While North Central Alabama was still dealing with the debacle of ice and snow from two weeks ago, another storm was on the horizon.  You know me, I don't really watch the news or follow the weather so on Sunday evening when I received an e-mail that Boy's Bible Club was cancelled for Monday afternoon due to the threat of inclement weather, I paused to check the forecast.  Precipitation was likely but ice and snow doubtful.  The temperatures were hovering around 35!  It didn't matter, everyone was taking this threat seriously.  The governor called a "state of emergency," and in turn the school systems cancelled school for Tuesday and then again for Wednesday.  For two days, we sat around with wet, cold weather keeping us inside.  It was far too wet to play outside but far from cold enough to snow.  I built a fire.  We played games.  The children created an amazing block structure and an elaborate script to go with it.  I vacuumed.  They drew pictures.  Neighbors came to play.  We had a few outings - haircuts for the girls on Tuesday and the grocery store on Wednesday.  I didn't want to be too far from home just in case!  Still no snow.  The temperature still hovered around 35!  Really!  Frank's office closed at two on Wednesday, yet he stayed until past 5:00.  Once he arrived home and I was cooking supper, I looked out the window and finally there was that much anticipated "wintery mix".  The kiddos took a shower.  Then there were some big flakes mixed in.  We ate supper.  The snow kept falling.  It was 7:00 and Olympic coverage was starting.  We were thinking about putting the children to bed but then finally there was an accumulation of snow on the ground.  Enough snow to go outside and play.  And play we did!
It was the perfect consistency for snowballs and snowmen.  We called Pops.
Our neighbors converged on the street.  An impromptu cocktail party!
 What fun!  What a relief to be outside and doing something active!
Fun to be with friends and make memories.
No school again today!

No comments:

Post a Comment