March Inn

Why"March Inn?" March Inn was the name of that magic place where I spent my summers growing up. I have alluded to this place before, and I probably will again. March Inn is no longer standing. The waters of Katrina rendered it unlivable so my children will never know that "March Inn." That makes me sad. In fact it brings me to tears whenever I think about it. I want my children to have their own "March Inn," and I want to capture our lives as they are growing and changing. I invite you to "march inn" to our lives. My hope is that you will catch glimpses of the real world. You will see our creations. You will see our chaos. You will see our affection. You will also see our frustrations, fears, and disappointments. Enjoy your march!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Recipe Round Up

In an attempt to get my recipes organized, I am going to post more of what we are cooking.  As stated previously, we cook a lot!  Even Betsy gets in on the action...
I realize you do not need another source for recipes.  They are everywhere ~ cookbooks, magazines, the Internet, the newspaper, even the aisles of the grocery store.  I'm not really trying to give you more recipes because I'm sure you have your own shelves full of unused cookbooks, piles of clipped magazine or newspaper pages, and bookmarked websites.
I simply want to get my recipes in order and leave my children with a collection of some of our favorites.  This is for me, not you, but I do hope you can benefit from what is taking place in our kitchen.  I know I have found some tasty recipes from the various blogs that I peruse daily, weekly, monthly, etc...
You will find that aside from my tried and true cookbooks my go to recipe source is my monthly copy of Southern Living.  I have been a subscriber for years.  Well let me rephrase ~ for years my mother has given me a subscription for Christmas.  While the format has changed many times over those years, and in my opinion the content ebbs and flows, I still look forward to receiving my monthly magazine. 

I have binder filled with recipes I want to try one day.  Many of these recipes have come from Southern Living.  I attempt to try at least one new recipe each week.  Some are keepers and some my family endures!
In order to make it happen, I create a menu plan at the beginning of the week.  I created a fun What's Cookin' document to make this easy.  I keep a stack of these in the front pocket of my coupon binder.  On one side, it has what I am going to cook each night and on the other I fill in my grocery list organized by the aisles of my local grocery store.  I have a place to write breakfast, lunch, and snack ideas though I don't plan those by the day.  One day I might reconsider that ~ we are always in a rut for breakfast and lunch.  My What's Cookin' document also has a place to write in grocery store specials and items I need from other places such as the farmer's market or the seafood store.  I make my menu plan with my calendar nearby so I can write in special circumstances for the day {i.e., dinner to Smiths for new baby, swim meet, RFS out of town, Jones for dinner}.  That helps me plan accordingly ~ some nights I have less time than others.  I keep this binder in my kitchen so I can add staples to the list as I realize a need.  Stay tuned for more of what we are cooking! 

What about you...do you make a weekly menu plan?  Where do you get your cooking inspiration? How do you organize your recipes?  Do you like to try new things or is take-out your go to dinner?

1 comment:

  1. First, Betsy looks like a baby doll in that first picture!!

    Second, could we have been separated at birth?? I organize my menu for the week in the same way!! Chris gets tired of my sunday evening questioning about his schedule so I can plan my trip!

    ReplyDelete