March Inn

Why"March Inn?" March Inn was the name of that magic place where I spent my summers growing up. I have alluded to this place before, and I probably will again. March Inn is no longer standing. The waters of Katrina rendered it unlivable so my children will never know that "March Inn." That makes me sad. In fact it brings me to tears whenever I think about it. I want my children to have their own "March Inn," and I want to capture our lives as they are growing and changing. I invite you to "march inn" to our lives. My hope is that you will catch glimpses of the real world. You will see our creations. You will see our chaos. You will see our affection. You will also see our frustrations, fears, and disappointments. Enjoy your march!

Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Truth About Camp

Confession time....A couple of posts ago I said that we went to camp.
Okay, we didn't really go to camp, and neither did our children, really.  We did however have some camp experiences, and I think I am safe to say we all wish we could stay. 
Stephen attended Rookie Day at Camp Alpine and afterward Mary Frances took a tour of Camp Desoto.  They both let the rest of the family tag along.  Most surprisingly, Betsy didn't want to leave after our tour guide gave her a Camp Desoto t-shirt. 
Frank and I both grew up spending a month of our summers at camp.  And then in college we were both camp counselors.  Frank spent his time at Camp Alpine as camper and counselor, and I spent mine among the pines at Camp Mac as a camper and counselor and also at Camp Greystone as a counselor.  We both feel that "Camp is Good" - I checked there is no shirt, but in our minds there should be.  For both of us our time at camp was instrumental in our lives and helped define who we are today.  We are both thankful for that experience.  There are lots of great camps out there and at some level camp is camp, but on another level not all camps are created equally.  If I am going to entrust my children to the care of someone else for an extended period of time, I want it to be a great camp. 

Whether going to camp or not a weekend trip to Mentone is a nice getaway.  I've had a few opportunities to stay in lodging at the Alabama State Parks, and each time I have been quite impressed.  Our cabin was perfect - by no means ritzy but definitely everything you need {two rooms, a bathroom, sitting room, and kitchen} and more {air conditioning, a front porch with rocking chairs, a fire ring and ample room to search for firewood, a trail to the river}.

And now, my children and I are thinking toward Cousin Camp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment