March Inn

Why"March Inn?" March Inn was the name of that magic place where I spent my summers growing up. I have alluded to this place before, and I probably will again. March Inn is no longer standing. The waters of Katrina rendered it unlivable so my children will never know that "March Inn." That makes me sad. In fact it brings me to tears whenever I think about it. I want my children to have their own "March Inn," and I want to capture our lives as they are growing and changing. I invite you to "march inn" to our lives. My hope is that you will catch glimpses of the real world. You will see our creations. You will see our chaos. You will see our affection. You will also see our frustrations, fears, and disappointments. Enjoy your march!

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Just Like Daddy

Happy Father's Day to all of you fathers out there!


We have a small board book titled Just Like Daddy, and I smile to myself each time I read it because what child especially what boy doesn't want to be "just like daddy" ~ particularly in the 18 - 36 month range. {Well maybe that's all I can attest to since my oldest just reached the outer limits of that range.}


I want to give you a series of shots of my Stephen who wants to be "just like daddy"











As I dwell on these thoughts I am reminded of a parenting seminar put on by our church. An area counselor, Hal Threadcraft, was giving what I considered to be words of wisdom. As part of that presentation, he shared a story of when his boys were young. {I hope I am recounting the details of the story accurately. It has been several years ago, and I apologize if I am not but this is as I remember it and in this form it certainly made an impression on me.} One evening his wife met him on the front steps of their home as he came home for the day. She said, "Hal if there is anything you don't like about yourself, you need to change it now." He was a bit confused and wondering what he had done and where this was going, when she went on to tell him about her day and how their oldest child had gone around the house doing things exactly like his father did them. Those things that the child did throughout the day are the details that allude me but nonetheless I can relate.

Have you ever watched a child watch their parent and then change their stance or their posture to mimic what they see? It is hilarious and it happens often.

I want to close by saying thank you to Frank for being a wonderful father to our three children. They are blessed to have you as the leader of our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment