March Inn

Why"March Inn?" March Inn was the name of that magic place where I spent my summers growing up. I have alluded to this place before, and I probably will again. March Inn is no longer standing. The waters of Katrina rendered it unlivable so my children will never know that "March Inn." That makes me sad. In fact it brings me to tears whenever I think about it. I want my children to have their own "March Inn," and I want to capture our lives as they are growing and changing. I invite you to "march inn" to our lives. My hope is that you will catch glimpses of the real world. You will see our creations. You will see our chaos. You will see our affection. You will also see our frustrations, fears, and disappointments. Enjoy your march!

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Changing Gears

I'm not good at quick turn arounds...getting myself and three children out of town whether it be for a weekend or a week or even longer is hard enough as it is. When faced with a three day turn around, I started to panic.

But we did it ~ we changed gears. Literally, we swapped our sweaters, backpacks, and hiking boots for life jackets, sand toys, and bikes.

We are now on our second adventure of the summer. Fortunately, I've walked this road my entire life, and I know that anything I need is a short drive away. I figured as long as dinner for the first night was covered and coffee for the morning was taken care of then we could make a plan once we arrived. Also, my mother is with us which means she gathered all of the "rental list" items which is a much appreciated gesture. I know how much work it entails.
As I was helping with something in the kitchen, one of my children asked me what I brought. My response ~ "the chaos." My dear mother replied, "No, you brought the love." It's true ~ my children help us all love each other just a little more.

The first highlight of the trip was an enthusiastic comment from Stephen as we crossed over Interstate 10 on Highway 98. With great excitement, Stephen exclaims from the back seat, "Mommy, there's Mobile Bay!" Yes, I had tears in my eyes as those have always been my sentiments exactly. This comment also helped Stephen to redeem himself ~ about 45 minutes prior to this comment my eyes glanced in the rear view mirror to see Stephen almost sitting in Mary Frances' car seat. There is certainly a drawback to new found independence. Needless to say there was a harsh consequence for his reckless behavior, and I hope he learned his lesson.
To swim or not to swim has been the raging debate in my head since returning from North Carolina. As I drove south yesterday, I had decided there would be no swimming for me and mine, but once I arrived I discovered no trace of oil ~ no smell, no residue, no sheen. Instead, lots of boat activity, wharf fishing, and pelicans flying so I am back to my original plan of taking it one day at a time. Hopefully, my dad is right when he says I will know when I shouldn't swim.


And I'll leave you with a picture from the original March Inn. There have been many photographs taken of my extended family in and around this tree. While here, I intend to get one suitable for framing of my little ones ~ maybe even Frank and I can be in it as well. I also want a picture of Baby Sarah and her sweet parents in this same spot.



No comments:

Post a Comment