March Inn

Why"March Inn?" March Inn was the name of that magic place where I spent my summers growing up. I have alluded to this place before, and I probably will again. March Inn is no longer standing. The waters of Katrina rendered it unlivable so my children will never know that "March Inn." That makes me sad. In fact it brings me to tears whenever I think about it. I want my children to have their own "March Inn," and I want to capture our lives as they are growing and changing. I invite you to "march inn" to our lives. My hope is that you will catch glimpses of the real world. You will see our creations. You will see our chaos. You will see our affection. You will also see our frustrations, fears, and disappointments. Enjoy your march!

Monday, June 21, 2010

Born with the Bay in His Blood

I think Stephen has the bug and has it bad. Now that I am here, I recall this sentiment from the time we spent at Point Clear last summer. My middle child loves this place which is wonderful beyond words to me. I actually have tears in my eyes as I type because it gives me such joy. There is also a touch of sadness behind those tears since we can't just jump in the car and make weekend jaunts to March Inn. This sadness is deepened as I think how the impact of the BP oil spill is going to change the world as I know it, but that is another story for another day.

Don't get me wrong I think everyone in my family has had a fabulous time and would love to come back again and again, but Stephen in particular has loved being over the bay. He has played hard and unfortunately not slept as hard. He rises early and goes to bed late. He wants to do it all ~ fish, crab, swim, sail, play in the sand, jump in the waves, watch the boats, point out the pelicans and seagulls, ride bikes {or trikes as the case may be}, and just watch the waves crash on the beach.

One afternoon I coaxed Stephen into his nap by asking him to dream what our next adventure was going to be. When he woke up, he told me he dreamed about riding his bike to see the ducks and so we did.

We have rented what to us is a perfect bay house. Not too fancy but comfortably nice with everything we need and then some. It reminds us of our beloved March Inn yet with the comfort of air conditioning. One unexpected bonus was the crab trap. When I pulled it up "just to see," there were to my surprise five large male crabs and a mullet. Now how he wandered in, I'm not sure, but I was delighted. Not only did I have enough crabs to boil but also bait to attempt to catch some more. Stephen was enamoured by this whole process and is longing to catch more.

When you get to end each of your days with this surrounded by family and friends, who wouldn't have the bug and have it bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment