March Inn

Why"March Inn?" March Inn was the name of that magic place where I spent my summers growing up. I have alluded to this place before, and I probably will again. March Inn is no longer standing. The waters of Katrina rendered it unlivable so my children will never know that "March Inn." That makes me sad. In fact it brings me to tears whenever I think about it. I want my children to have their own "March Inn," and I want to capture our lives as they are growing and changing. I invite you to "march inn" to our lives. My hope is that you will catch glimpses of the real world. You will see our creations. You will see our chaos. You will see our affection. You will also see our frustrations, fears, and disappointments. Enjoy your march!

Friday, February 5, 2010

Mothering Matters

Boy did I need to read these words this week!

From What Every Mom Needs by Elisa Morgan and Carol Kuykendall

"Does mothering matter? This questions demands an answer...A woman's work is determined by her work's value and the amount she accomplishes. But a mother's work is never finished or is constantly coming undone, and few people reward or recognize the nurturing skills used in mothering.

Though changing diapers and cuddling a baby may seem trivial, mothers are doing eternally significant work in developing a little person into an adult. As Leo Tolstoy wrote in the The Lion and the Honeycomb, "Yes, mothers, in your hands more than in those of anyone else, lies the salvation of the world."

Mothering matters!"

The title of the post could have been "Upside Down."

We've had the stomach bug this week and our house is upside down. This picture highlights the week without going into the gory details. I post only because I do want to remember the not so great moments of motherhood so that I can have perspective when my children are in these shoes. I want to remember so I can empathize. In fact I gives me perspective for the day.

As I was ironing the dust ruffle to put back on Stephen's bed, I was so thankful that I do not work outside of the home so I was not having to stress over taking a day off or scramble for childcare. I was also thankful that this happens every now and then. No it isn't fun, but it passes! Now that is the perspective that I needed!

Slowly, the house is coming back together, but I must admit I woke up grumpy over it today. I looked around and saw all that needs to be done before our company gets here for dinner tomorrow night, and it was downright depressing. That list is just what "needs" to get done and does not include the "wants," but I also know that somehow what needs to get done will get done! No, it won't be perfect, but it never is! That perfection is only in my head and the way that I see others' lives. In reality, they aren't perfect either, but I am able to overlook their imperfections. Why do I have such a hard time overlooking my own?

Forging ahead...finally we could all leave the house! We went to the grocery store, and I bought flowers. It was a whim and out of character for me, but somehow those flowers made it all better. I love tulips ~ tulips in the winter and daisies in the summer are my favorites. There was an arrangement in February's Southern Living that I am hoping to emulate. Will post pictures if able to do it ~ flowers are not my forte.

Okay, dinner is in the refrigerator for tomorrow and I'm off to finish a baby gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment