March Inn

Why"March Inn?" March Inn was the name of that magic place where I spent my summers growing up. I have alluded to this place before, and I probably will again. March Inn is no longer standing. The waters of Katrina rendered it unlivable so my children will never know that "March Inn." That makes me sad. In fact it brings me to tears whenever I think about it. I want my children to have their own "March Inn," and I want to capture our lives as they are growing and changing. I invite you to "march inn" to our lives. My hope is that you will catch glimpses of the real world. You will see our creations. You will see our chaos. You will see our affection. You will also see our frustrations, fears, and disappointments. Enjoy your march!

Sunday, January 31, 2010

B is for Betsy


First, I want to thank my friend, Sally, for reminding me of this sweet series of books. I not only remember reading these Carolyn Haywood stories as a child, but I remember exactly where they were on the shelf at the downtown branch of the Mobile Public Library. I vividly remember running through the stacks {Ms. Merriweather in the Library Lion would not approve} and crouching down to see if there were any adventures of Betsy that I had not yet read. What I did not realize was that this book has a copyright of 1939.
They are timeless, sweet, innocent stories of Betsy and her friends. They books were written in a simplier time and it shows. I love it! Mary Frances loved it! Stephen endured it which is not too shabby for a 2 1/2 year old. Actually I think he enjoys them too. Mary Frances couldn't wait to see what Betsy was going to do in the next chapter. Besty expressed fears, joys, remorse, sadness, and excitement ~ all emotions Mary Frances can identify with and is trying to make sense of in her own little life. When we finished the book Mary Frances couldn't wait for me to go back to the library and find a new book about Betsy. On Friday, we Started Betsy and Billy. Carolyn Haywood wrote many books. There is also a series about Eddie - it might be more engaging for the boys. I am loving reading these books to Mary Frances and Stephen and it won't be long before Mary Frances can read them to herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment