March Inn

Why"March Inn?" March Inn was the name of that magic place where I spent my summers growing up. I have alluded to this place before, and I probably will again. March Inn is no longer standing. The waters of Katrina rendered it unlivable so my children will never know that "March Inn." That makes me sad. In fact it brings me to tears whenever I think about it. I want my children to have their own "March Inn," and I want to capture our lives as they are growing and changing. I invite you to "march inn" to our lives. My hope is that you will catch glimpses of the real world. You will see our creations. You will see our chaos. You will see our affection. You will also see our frustrations, fears, and disappointments. Enjoy your march!

Monday, May 9, 2011

Recipe Roundup

I love new recipes! I am always looking to try new things, and I know you are too. Sometimes I get stuck in a rut that I can't seem to get out of, but the change in season always ushers in new possibilities for menu options. The farmer's market is ripe with possibilities ~ bring on Pepper Place! Some of my summer favorites include crookneck or patty pan squash, Chilton County Peaches, garden ripe tomatoes and of course fresh basil. I am delighted that my children's new favorite vegetable is sauteed squash. Case and point that if you serve something often enough, they will eventually acquire a taste for the said food.

Several weeks ago we planted what seemed like an over-abundance of basil. I might be rushing the summer season, but I have managed to keep the basil well-trimmed while using it to cook. I've made Parmesan Basil Chicken, Corn with Basil and Lime Butter, and a Squash Frittata ~ just to name a few. I have also stocked my pantry with pine nuts so I am ready to make pesto which is our preferred "sauce" for homemade pizza.

Today, I want to share with you the recipe for the Parmesan Basil Chicken ~ It is so easy! This has quickly become my summer time "go to" chicken recipe. As the temperatures rise and the days grow longer we spend more and more time outside. I need recipes that can cook without me slaving over a pot. We aren't terrible fond of the texture created by crock pot meals, and one can only have so many casseroles in a given month. The grill is a great option, but since Frank switched to a Big Green Egg I am a bit intimidated by grilling out when he is not home. He has to walk me through the process every time I attempt to use it, and the end result is never as tasty and tender as when Frank does it. In addition I aim to have the meal ready to put on the table when Frank arrives home at 6:30 because my children* do best when they are in bed by 7:00. That leaves baked chicken... therefore I am on the hunt for ways to dress up four skinless chicken breasts. I'm a bit particular ~ I want tender flavorful bites. This recipe delivers and as a bonus my children like it!

Sprinkle desired number of skinless chicken breasts with salt and pepper and arrange in a Pyrex baking dish.



Next melt 1/4 cup butter.



Add 1/4 - 1/3 cup fresh chopped basil and 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese.

Pour butter mixture over chicken.



Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

*This is why we try to be in bed at 7:00. After a full day complete with swim lessons, this little man literally collapsed on my shoulder as I was beginning to work on the fritatta.


No comments:

Post a Comment