March Inn

Why"March Inn?" March Inn was the name of that magic place where I spent my summers growing up. I have alluded to this place before, and I probably will again. March Inn is no longer standing. The waters of Katrina rendered it unlivable so my children will never know that "March Inn." That makes me sad. In fact it brings me to tears whenever I think about it. I want my children to have their own "March Inn," and I want to capture our lives as they are growing and changing. I invite you to "march inn" to our lives. My hope is that you will catch glimpses of the real world. You will see our creations. You will see our chaos. You will see our affection. You will also see our frustrations, fears, and disappointments. Enjoy your march!

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Just Stay in the Gutter

There is so much to tell you ~ The last few weeks have been full. Full to overflowing. Overflowing is not always good. Overflowing often leads to being overwhelmed.

We've had a school program ~





with Santa ~


and cookies ~
Mary Frances earned a "snow globe award"~



I've unpacked boxes and attempted organization. Just a glimpse...

Yes, that is a cell phone charger. It was missing for a week. I found it in the train box. I now know what happened, but that combined with a missing house phone have been the cause of a bit of frustration. Let's just say I have been hard to get in touch with this week.

Throughout this school year as I have waited in carpool lines, I have been reading a book by Katrina Kenison ~ the gift of an ordinary day. In so many ways it is fitting that I have been reading this book over the last SEVERAL months. There are many points that I could blog about, but today I will simply use a quote from Katrina Kenison to sum up what is going on with me ~ "The house awaits a hundred finishing touches. Everywhere I look, there is something I need to clean, hang, unpack, or put away." I'm making progress, but it is slow. Some moments I feel as if I make two steps forward and then take three back as we bring in yet another load of our stuff from Frank's dad's house. I mean really how did we have so much stuff in such tight quarters.

Last night we took a break from the projects and had guests for dinner. These friends have been such a blessing to us as we were living down the street. The were our next door neighbors as we were displaced. During this time we became friends. Real friends. Good friends ~ Friends who we are so thankful for. Friends who we can be ourselves with. Friends who have lived the last year and some months with us more than most. Friends whose children we love. Friends who we can call on. Friends who we never tire of being with.

It was a simple dinner ~ A combination of efforts ~ burgers and sweet potato fries with fruit. Cookies for dessert.

As the evening was winding down the children put on a performance. They acted out the Christmas story, and it was precious. That turned into a dance party. Not sure how that transition occurred but it did. I have no pictures of the first performance, but I did pull out the camera for the dancing. It was priceless! It wasn't just any dance party but a ballroom dancing party. Where did they learn these moves? As I was shooting photos, my mind wandered and I smiled because this is what it is all about ~ being together, laughing, making memories, loving each other and life.

We loved living next door to this lovely family, but now we will just stay in the gutter as we travel back and forth from one house to the other.
I pray that we all cherish these times, these memories, these blessings...

No comments:

Post a Comment