March Inn

Why"March Inn?" March Inn was the name of that magic place where I spent my summers growing up. I have alluded to this place before, and I probably will again. March Inn is no longer standing. The waters of Katrina rendered it unlivable so my children will never know that "March Inn." That makes me sad. In fact it brings me to tears whenever I think about it. I want my children to have their own "March Inn," and I want to capture our lives as they are growing and changing. I invite you to "march inn" to our lives. My hope is that you will catch glimpses of the real world. You will see our creations. You will see our chaos. You will see our affection. You will also see our frustrations, fears, and disappointments. Enjoy your march!

Friday, April 9, 2010

Double Duty

We've spent a lot of time outside the last week. The weather has been gorgeous despite the layer of yellow dust all over everything, and my children have been great ~ they have either entertained themselves or been very helpful. It is amazing what a shovel, something to shake, and water can do for one's imagination! Not to mention a playhouse under construction with lots of scraps of wood that make great blocks. {To those who had no idea the size of the structure...Have you ever known my husband to do something on a small scale ~ especially a building project?

I told Frank that this year, thus far, has been the easiest our garden has ever come together ~ granted I'm only about half of the way finished, and I'm already dreaming of tackling all of the overgrowth around the perimeter of the yard and creating a butterfly garden with Mary Frances. We'll see how much actually happens...

Thank you again to Uncle Bill and Aunt Anna who gave Stephen the water table for his 2nd birthday. It has served double duty ~ a place for all three children to play and a source of water for our newly planted garden. Thank heavens for warmer weather!
I'm also dreaming of fresh pesto, tomato pie, maybe some lemons and limes {more on that in a minute} and if the slugs don't get them bunches of zinnias mixed with Shasta daisies. My slug population seems to have diminished greatly from last year, but I'm taking no chances. I'm being proactive and have given each newly planted transplant a generous dose of slug bait. Last year, the slugs ruined all of my zinnias among other things, and I was quite devastated.



Okay, now for the lemons and limes. Since Frank and I have been married, I have talked about wanting a citrus tree. I've looked, albeit not hard, for ones to plant but never been successful. Well, this year I saw both at Lowes and on impulse bought one of each. I plan on putting them in lightweight containers that can be moved indoors for the winter. I'll let you know if I am squeezing fresh lemons into my iced tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment