March Inn

Why"March Inn?" March Inn was the name of that magic place where I spent my summers growing up. I have alluded to this place before, and I probably will again. March Inn is no longer standing. The waters of Katrina rendered it unlivable so my children will never know that "March Inn." That makes me sad. In fact it brings me to tears whenever I think about it. I want my children to have their own "March Inn," and I want to capture our lives as they are growing and changing. I invite you to "march inn" to our lives. My hope is that you will catch glimpses of the real world. You will see our creations. You will see our chaos. You will see our affection. You will also see our frustrations, fears, and disappointments. Enjoy your march!

Monday, May 13, 2013

More Details

Once upon a time, a LONG time ago, I was a Brownie.  One of the songs we learned was "Make New Friends."  If you were a Daisy Scout, Brownie Scout, or Girl Scout, I'm sure you too remember the familiar lyrics..."Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the others gold."  As I rehash the details of my weekend, these words keep coming to my mind.  When I look over my life, I feel as if I have been blessed with many opportunities to make new friends while keeping the old.  I hold old friends, memories, and traditions close to my heart but also have plenty of room for new.  Life changes and time passes on, so sometimes what was perfect in one moment just isn't in another.
{insert picture from another camera - my battery died}

Over the weekend, I had the privilege to take my family to Pt. Clear, Alabama.  I was honored to stand at the alter with one of my oldest and dearest friends as she exchanged wedding vows with a man who seems wonderful.  Yes, life changes and time passes on, but please hear me say it was still perfect that Anne and I were able to stand beside Barcley during this time.  Barcley said it best when asked by the photographer if she wanted pictures of us individually.  Her response was, "We go together."  Yes, we do go together and over the last three months I have been able to spend good time with Anne and Barcley and realize I need to make more room in my life to be together with these old friends.
{again - insert picture from another camera}
And now where the rambling begins... Because of this opportunity, I was blessed to wake up in my favorite place in the world on Mother's Day.  Barcley's reception was at the Grand Hotel so Frank and I chose to spend the weekend there instead of invading one of my aunt's homes with our family of six.  We are a motley crew and in many ways it was just simpler to stay at the hotel.  Not to mention it gave us access to the pool and the beach.  This is something, I've never had before - well at least not authorized use of the Grand Hotel pool and grounds.
As an aside, what might have made the weekend more perfect was if my family could have stayed with Anne's family at the original March Inn, but as previously stated life changes and time passes on.  March Inn is no longer standing so that dream was not possible.  And yes I still cry as that fact sinks in.  One would think that almost eight years after Katrina I would have moved on, but March Inn is and always will be my magic place. 
I can't think of March Inn without thinking of Julep Point.  As long as I can remember I have enjoyed sitting on that point looking out over the water ~ pondering life, thinking and dreaming.  Life changes and time passes on, yet I still can sit on that point and look out over that water and think and dream.  There might not be a wharf at March Inn but there is still a Julep Point, and I loved sharing that place with my children this weekend.




Life changes and time passes on, but there were still pelicans diving, porpoises playing, seagulls feeding, waves crashing, and an amazing view!  My children might not have March Inn, but I hope and pray they are developing a love for this place that remains so special to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment